Back to Atlanta Area Council
Login Weekend Camping FAQ Contact Us





How can I request a specific camp site?
Although we cannot guarantee that you be assigned to a specific camp site, we will try our best to accommodate all requests. You will have to enter this request in the online system where you sign up for Merit Badge classes. Please include your reasoning for requesting a campsite. We primarily only take considerations for medical reasons. All campsite requests should be listed under adult medical needs.

I need electricity at my campsite for medical purposes.
Woodruff has electrical service for medical devices in numerous campsites, but not all. You will have to enter this request in the online system where you sign up for Merit Badge classes/activities. Please include your reasoning for requesting electricity (CPAP, breathing machine, nebulizer, etc). All campsite requests should be listed under adult medical needs.

Health & Safety

Is there a doctor or nurse at camp?
Health Lodge staff experts, often EMT’s or Paramedics, are at the Health Lodge during summer camp and able to render first aid and connect Scouts with additional medical assistance when necessary. There is plenty of back-up support provided by our Council Physician and the Union County Hospital and Fire/Rescue.  There is no permanent medical presence at our camps in the off season.

Do I need the entire Health and Medical Form Form completed?

Yes. You MUST have a completed Health and Medical Form (Parts A, B, C of Form# 680-001) completed and signed by a medical doctor for everyone attending camp 72 hours or more. This includes a physician physical. If the youth/adult does not have this upon arrival, your unit will have 24 hours from arrival, or the individual must leave camp. Under specific circumstances (attending less than 72 hours, such as partial week adult) you can attend with only Parts A & B completed.  In this situation (Parts A & B only) you will be limited to the activities you can participate in.

How long is the Health and Medical Form good for? When does it expire?

A completed form expires one year from the date of the doctors signature and that date must extend beyond your departure date from camp. To be specific, it is actually valid to the last day of the month signed.


When and where can I sign up for activities and classes?

Refer to the Leaders Guide for specific information. In general, units start registering around April 1st through the program website. 

Can Adult leaders split a week?

Yes. If the adult is coming 3 days or less, they can split the week with other adults. Adults splitting a week cannot be at camp at the same time. The adult checking out needs to meet the one checking in at the camp office to switch them over. Adults staying more than 3 days are required to pay the full week fee.

Merit Badges & Program

How many Merit Badges can Scouts sign up for?

This is at the discretion of the leaders. There are numerous class slots for Merit Badges, but some take up two slots, and some require afternoon work. Click here to see a list of Merit Badge offerings.

Do Scouts earn Merit Badges in the Mountain Man Program?

The Mountain Man First-year Camper Program is designed to introduce less experienced Scouts to the skills they’ll need to get the most out of their summer camp experience. There will be activities that involve Tenderfoot through First Class rank advancement, but no Merit Badges will be earned during the Mountain Man periods. Scouts taking Mountain Man may take other Merit Badge courses during other periods of the day. Most first year campers take First Aid Merit Badge or Swimming and often a Handicraft Merit Badge.

Can my Scout do both the Troop Whitewater and Horsemanship Merit Badge?

Yes, he can attend both activities if he registers. He will receive one of these for free (included in his camp fee), but he will be required to pay a fee of $40 for the second offsite activity.

My Scout/son is very mature, can he still take a class even though he does not meet the age requirements listed?

The ages on there are our highly recommended guidelines, not hard and fast rules.  The area director has the final decision in this.  If it is determined he does not have the maturity or physical size required to have an enjoyable experience, he will be removed from the class and offered an alternate class.

Do Scouts need CPR Certification before arriving to camp to do BSA Lifeguard?

No, this is offered as part of the course. They will also be signed up to take CPR for the Professional Rescuer as part of BSA Lifeguard.  There is a fee for the CPR-Pro Course, but not for Lifeguard.

Can participants in the Lifeguard course go on the Troop whitewater rafting trip?

A one afternoon break is built into the training schedule that permits lifeguard participants to go with their Unit on the afternoon Troop whitewater trip.


31 Woodruff Drive
Blairsville, GA 30512
phone: 770-956-5687
fax: 770-956-5980