Summer Camp Frequently Asked Questions


How can I request a specific camp site?
Although we cannot guarantee that you be assigned to a specific camp site, we try our best to accommodate all requests. Please enter your request in the online registration system and your reasoning. We give primary considerations for medical reasons.

I need electricity at my campsite for medical purposes.
Woodruff has electrical service for medical devices in numerous campsites, but not all. Please enter this request in the online system. Please include your reasoning for requesting electricity (CPAP, breathing machine, nebulizer, etc.).


Sunday Arrivals:
  • 12:45 PM Check In Opens/Starts
  • 3:00 PM  Latest Arrival Time (in order to complete all check-in activities)
Early (Saturday) Arrivals:
  • Each unit that arrives early is required to call the Duty Commissioner at (678) 674-8466 on the day of arrival, no less than one (1) hour ahead of their expected arrival time, and confirm their arrival. Failure to call could result in significant delays upon arrival.
Required at Check-In:
  • Unit Rosters including youth/adult names and contact info (phone# and email) for all adults (Required)
  • Annual Health and Medical Record – (Required - Parts A, B1, B2, & C)
  • Pre-Camp Health Status Questionnaire (Required)
  • Proof of Youth Protection Training for adults (Required)
  • Be sure to bring unit funds to settle up your account at close-out (check, credit)

Health & Safety

Is there a doctor or nurse at camp?
Health Lodge staff, often EMT’s or Paramedics, are at the Health Lodge during summer camp to render first aid and connect you with additional medical assistance when necessary. They are supported by our Council Physician and the Union County Hospital and Fire/Rescue.  There is no permanent medical presence at our camps in the offseason.

Do I need the entire Health and Medical Form completed?

Yes. You MUST have a completed Health and Medical Record Form completed and signed by a medical doctor for everyone attending camp 72 hours or more. This includes a physician physical. If the youth/adult does not have this upon arrival, your unit will have 24 hours from arrival, or the individual must leave camp. 

How long is the Health and Medical Form good for? When does it expire?

A completed form expires one year from the date of the doctor’s signature and that date must extend beyond your departure date from camp. To be specific, it is actually valid to the last day of the month signed.


When and where can I sign up for activities and classes?

Refer to the Leaders Guide for specific information. In general, units start registering around April 8th through the program website. 

Can Adult leaders split a week?

Yes. If the adult is coming 3 days or less, they can split the week with other adults. Adults splitting a week cannot be at camp at the same time. The adult checking out needs to meet the one checking in at the camp office to switch them over. Adults staying more than 3 days are required to pay the full week fee.

Merit Badges & Program

How many Merit Badges can a Scout sign up for?

This is at the discretion of the leaders. There are numerous class slots for Merit Badges, but some take up two slots, and some require afternoon work.

Do Scouts earn Merit Badges in the Mountaineer Program?

The Mountaineer First-Year Camper Program is designed to introduce less experienced Scouts BSA to the skills they’ll need to get the most out of their summer camp experience. These are activities that involve Tenderfoot through First Class rank advancement, but no Merit Badges will be earned during the Mountaineer periods. Scouts taking Mountaineer may take other Merit Badge courses during other periods of the day. Most first-year campers take First Aid Merit Badge or Swimming and often a Handicraft Merit Badge.

Can my Scouts BSA do both the River Trip and Horsemanship Merit Badge?

Yes, they can attend both activities. They will receive one of these for free (included in their camp fee), but they will be required to pay a fee of $50 for the second offsite activity.

My Scouts BSA/child is very mature, can they still take a class even though they do not meet the age requirements listed?

The ages listed are strongly recommended guidelines based on our past experience, not hard and fast rules.  The area director has the final decision in this.  If it is determined your Scouts BSA does not have the maturity or physical size required to have an enjoyable experience, they can be removed from the class and offered an alternate class.

Do participants need CPR Certification before arriving at camp to do BSA Lifeguard?

No, we offer CPR for the Professional Rescuer as part of BSA Lifeguard.  There is a fee for the CPR-Pro course for adults of $65. 

Can participants in the Lifeguard course go on a river rafting trip?

The training schedule includes one afternoon off that permits lifeguard participants to go with their Troop/Crew on their afternoon river trip. Simply email the Camp Admin to request the addition.